- autumn - N is not pronounced at the end of a word after M
- foreign - G is not usually pronounced before N
- calm - L is usually not pronounced before D, F, K, M (half, would)
- hour - H is sometimes not pronounced at the beginning of a word. Use "an". Other words are honour, heir, honest.
- history - No silent letter. The H is pronounced here.
- knife - N is not pronounced after K
- sandwich - (Actually pronounced samwich) D is sometimes not pronounced in the middle of a word, as in Wednesday and handkerchief.
- thorough - GH is not usually pronounced before a T, and sometimes not at the end of a word.
- muscle - C is not pronounced in the ending -SCLE
- salmon - the same as 3.
- island - S is not pronounced before L in island and isle.
- castle - T is not pronounced in these common words: Christmas, castle, listen, whistle, thistle, fasten, often
- receipt - P is not usually pronounced in a word ending -PT
- debt - Like 13. but with -BT.
- write - W is not pronounced when a word begins with WR-
- who - who, whose and whom have a silent W
- ghost - H is not pronounced when a word begins with GH-
- psychologist - Any words starting with PSY- have a silent P
- herb / herb - This one depends! British speakers say the H, Americans don't. You can choose whichever is easier.
- pneumonia - P is not pronounced before N at the beginning of a word.
Here are the answers to yesterday's post and some rules on silent letters.
Practise your English every day!
You'll find lots of exercises to help you improve your English - listening activities, reading, advice and lots more.